Delhi High Court has directed the food safety regulator to ensure that food business operators make full disclosures on all that goes into any food article — "not only by their code names but also by disclosing as to whether they originate from plant, or animal source, or whether they are manufactured in a laboratory, irrespective of their percentage in the food article". The operators must comply strictly with Regulation 2.2.2(4) of the Food Safety and Standards (Packaging and Labelling) Regulations, 2011 "on the basis that the use of any ingredient — in whatever measure or percentage, which is sourced from animals, would render the food article as Non-Vegetarian," the court said. "Every person has a right to know as to what he/she is consuming, and nothing can be offered to the person on a platter by resort to deceit, or camouflage," a division bench of Justices Vipin Sanghi and Jasmeet Singh said in an order passed on December 9. https://images.indianexpress.com/2020/08/1×1.png What are the labelling requirements under the 2011 Regulations? The Regulations define non-vegetarian food as containing "whole or part of any animal including birds, fresh water or marine animals or eggs or products of any animal origin, but excluding… Read full this story
- Indian Court to End Lingering Effects of British Era Honorifics
- High Court blocks marriage of man with intellectual disabilities
- Ex-charity boss calls for Oireachtas reforms after court victory
- 'Deliberate attempt to obstruct court order'
- Injury Marks Found On Sunanda Pushkar's Body, Say Delhi Police
- Why the Scottish court ruling is significant
- German court rules mass-killing of chicks legal
- UK court backs police in facial recognition lawsuit
- Motorists 'doing doughnuts' a problem in west Cork, court told
- Dubai ruler, estranged wife court battle set for November
- Non-religious weddings rise in Northern Ireland
- The 16 people who have been in court in Hull this week
When ‘veg’ is ‘non-veg’: what Delhi High Court said have 301 words, post on indianexpress.com at December 16, 2021. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.