Tariq Sims did the same thing every single year. He’d mark out his goals for the season to come, and he’d always aim high – premiership wins, New South Wales Origin jerseys, all the dreams you can imagine. But before he could do any of that, something else had to come first. Because before Sims was a Blue, before he was a Dragon or a Knight or a Cowboy, before he was anything else in football, he was a Gerringong Lion. He was from the country, and that meant a lot. So Sims turned up, again and again, for Country Origin in their annual clash with City. From 2012, when he debuted, until 2017, when the game finally faded away, he was there. Towards the end, plenty of NRL players pulled out, either through their own volition or after pressure from their clubs, who feared injuries for their stars and in the end caused the death of this match that was once a staple of the rugby league calendar. But Sims never did. Not ever. He finished with six caps for Country Origin, one short of Laurie Daley’s record of seven, and he’s as proud of that as he is anything he has done in… Read full this story
- Cristiano Ronaldo claims Man Utd are THREE YEARS off challenging City for Premier League title as drought nears 10 years
- Wellington Phoenix target record crowd for first A-League Women home game
- Carmen Electra's Love Life that Led Her to 'The Celebrity Dating Game'
- Qatar World Cup chiefs furious at ‘myth’ of 6,500 worker deaths and insist THREE people have lost their lives
- ITV pundit told her mother was killed by truck while covering World Cup game live on TV
- Arsenal news LIVE: Lacazette set for Gunners reunion in Dubai Cup as Barcelona target Patino transfer – latest
- Seven players who quit Man City and became world class including Kasper Schmeichel, Jadon Sancho and Adrien Rabiot
- Man Utd news LIVE: Ronaldo ‘offered’ to Real Madrid as Martial in training ground bust-up – latest
- Man Utd news LIVE: Chelsea to make Ronaldo move if Red Devils sack him, Eriksen not distracted by interview – latest
- Man Utd news LIVE: Chelsea could make Ronaldo move in January, Pochettino makes managerial hint – latest
- Antony Blinken on the Diplomatic Niceties of the Beautiful Game
- Sega is developing reboots of its popular Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi games
The life and death of City v Country — how the legacy of league's much loved rep game lives on have 387 words, post on www.abc.net.au at May 12, 2022. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.